Word Up, Nerd Up

a few words about words

Monday Munchies: Pumpkin Juice

Written By: Word Nerd - Sep• 19•11

A perfect drink for fall- sweet, spicy and (don’t tell) nutritious.  You can serve it hot or cold, it is delicious either way.

4 cups apple juice

1- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling!)

2 teaspoons ginger paste (or fresh grated ginger)

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/2 nutmeg, freshly grated (about 1 tablespoon of ground spice)

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

1- 12 ounce can lemon-line soda (like Sprite)

Whisk together apple juice, pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper in a large pan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and hold for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Slowly stir lemon-lime soda into cooled mixture.  Strain and serve.

What food or drink from Harry Potter’s world would you most like to see on store shelves and restaurant menus?

We link to these fine parties.

Welcome Mental Floss readers!  Be sure to check out our recipes for Butterbeer and Fried Worms, too.

16 comments on “Monday Munchies: Pumpkin Juice

1. I adore everything Harry Potter! Thank you for posting the recipe :)

2. you don’t have the recipe for butter beer do you??!

• Word Nerd on said:

Hi Anna-

I am working on a butterbeer recipe. :-) Are you looking for an “adult” beverage, or something that is kid friendly?

We have a special Banned Books recipe for next week, but I’ll try to get butterbeer up on Monday Munchies for October 3rd!

-WN

3. Stuff and Nonsense on said:

this looks absolutely yummy
    and i can’t wait to make it
    for my kids
    (and myself)

and yay for it being nutritious too

thanks for linking up to fridays unfolded!

alison

4. Jenn Erickson/Rook No. 17 on said:

Your link-up at Flamingo Toes caught my eye and I’m so glad I came by! I’ve seen a lot of Harry Potter inspired drink recipes, but yours sounds like the MOST delicious. What a great combination of flavors — love the white pepper!

I’m sharing a link to your post with my readers on Facebook.

New follower,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

5. Thank you so much for sharing this! I’ve never heard of anything like it and can’t wait to try it! It sounds delicious!

6. My Harry Potter-heads will love this! Yum!

7. Pingback: World’s Strangest | Ten Terrific or Terrifying Treats for Halloween

8. Pingback: Ten Terrific or Terrifying Treats for Halloween - Cine Sopaipleto » Cine Sopaipleto

9. Pingback: Ten Terrific or Terrifying Treats for Halloween - Sopaipleto » Sopaipleto

10. Pingback: Lady Behind the Curtain » Feature Friday: Pumpkin

11. MaryBe on said:

Thanks! I liked this so much I Pinned it!

12. Hypersapien on said:

Made this tonight for a Halloween party and everyone loved it (except for one person who doesn’t like pumpkin. freak.)

I don’t know what this exact recipe is like, but I used apple cider instead of juice.

13. Hypersapien on said:

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes, but I strained it first and kept it overnight, and added the soda just before serving so it could keep some of the carbonation.

14. Pingback: Halloween 2011 « Saucy Living